Safe Gaurd Your Home
Going on a trip? If you're reading this page than you've thought about your risks while you are traveling but how do you minimize the risk to your home and property while you're away? Here are some tips that can help:
- Make arrangements with a trusted friend, neighbor, or relative to pickup mail and newspapers on a daily basis. You can stop your mail and your newspaper while you're away however, doing so increases the number of people that know you are going to be away. Several years ago, subscribers to a major newspaper were surprised to find out that an independent contractor of the newspaper got a hold of their "vacation hold" list and used it as a prospective list of break-ins.
- Notify your local police that you’ll be gone. Some police departments will occasionally check to see if everything is ok. Make sure they are aware of any friend, neighbor, or relative that you’ve asked to help.
- Put some lights in your home on timers that go on and off during expected periods. Also place a radio on a timer and have it tuned to a talk radio show with the volume at a normal level.
- Outward appearances are important too. If it is in the summer time than have plans for your lawn to be mowed or if it is winter than make plans for snow while you’re gone.
- Be careful on social networks. Announcing your plans on Facebook or Twitter might seem like fun but it also might be an invitation for a break in. Likewise, posting on social media while you're on your trip might also be an invitation for a break in.
- If you have weekly rubbish removal than arrange to have your bins placed on curbside and returned while you’re gone